About Me

My photo
I always seem to have a plan. And after a brief moment--when measured against the timeline of one's life--He gracefully and graciously ruins my plan of the hour, whatever it may be, in lieu of a greater one. This has occurred in my life without fail. In light of recent circumstances, a reverberation of His love, strength, and faithfulness has echoed in my spirit. As David said, "one thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving." Psalm 62:11-12

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

From Pew Filler to Intern

I am interning at my home church this summer and was told by some individuals that I would be taught a lot about the ministry; by others, I was told that I would learn a lot about the ministry via observation.  After 7 weeks of working in my church, I have decided that the latter is far more accurate.  Have I been taught how to prepare a sermon, youth lesson, or Bible study?  Yes.  Have I been taught one way of how to go about visiting hospital patients and shut-ins, how to conduct funerals and weddings?  Yes.  And I am very thankful for my opportunity to have done so.  


On the other hand, serving as a staff member has opened my eyes to the politics of church life, if you will.  I am becoming more aware of how easy it is for one to go about doing the church work rather than God's work.  And it's not that intentions aren't honorable, it's just that church leadership are expected to carry the weight that the Church should distribute amongst themselves to lighten each other's load.  Speaking from what I've seen, how can the pastor be expected to carry every burden, to remember every birthday, anniversary, and other important dates, to know who has been admitted to the hospital without someone calling, prepare for sermons, have people drop in while he's trying to do so, attend every meeting of every board in the church, take care of 5 maintenance issues that suddenly arise on Sunday morning right before his message, see his own family, and then endure the criticism that is unleashed when he cannot effectively lead the congregation? 


I admit, I have been one of those pew fillers, one that thought that the pastor was in charge of...everything.  I did not vocalize it, but I have been let down because he or she had dropped the ball, in my opinion.  Now, to those who have been guilty of a similar mentality: YOU are the Church.  I am the Church.  And Jesus Christ is head of the Church.  So, if you have issues, I would recommend going to Him first.  I know that He will fix them for you. :-) Most effectively.  


So, what have I learned about the ministry via observation?  First of all, what a shame that I have just realized what a role I play in the ministry; not because I am being paid for the summer, but because Jesus Christ called me to His ministry the day He saved me by His grace.  He called you as well the day He saved you by His goodness and grace.


It's definitely not comfortable.  But being comfortable has gotten us nowhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment